Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"Who am I, that the Lord of all the Earth/ Would care to know my name/ Would care to feel my hurt"

I wanted to quickly post pictures from Easter before we head to Birmingham for Charlotte's surgery.

We decided to celebrate the silly side of Easter (bunnies, egg hunts, etc.) on Saturday and leave Sunday as the day to celebrate the RISEN KING. I think we will stick to this way of doing things. Charlotte's basket was duck themed this year. I had a blast filling it from the dollar section at Target!

Photobucket

a little sleepy

Photobucket

The girls had a blast looking through their loot together.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

And what is Easter without a bunny ear headband!

Photobucket
Sorry Dad but I'm going to have to say Lia wore it best :)
Photobucket

Now for the Hunt!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Charlotte wasn't a fan of the bunny ears.

Photobucket

The girls did great together and by the end had combined all their eggs.

Photobucket

We actually managed to get a family photo on Easter which are few and far between these days.

Photobucket

One of my favorite parts of the week was blowing bubbles with Lia. She LOVED them.

Photobucket

I love how children remind us of the joy of simple things.

Photobucket

And her enthusiasm reminds me so much of Henry.

Photobucket

It was a wonderful week and hard to see it end, especially knowing what lay ahead. Sunday, as I drove back from a wedding in Auburn to pick up Charlotte in Covington, the weight of the week hit me. This surgery is not so sudden or frightening as shunt surgery. Yet, I realized as I drove that once again I will have to leave her to a nurse she doesn't know in a place she doesn't like. I cried most of the way home and prayed for strength. It made me think of Eve and the curse that is inflicted on all mothers. Yes, birth itself is a painful process but I think our consequence is more than the pain of labor. It is the continuous pain of loving a human being so much. It seems that this is our course as mothers: the great joy mixed with the great sorrow of having our hearts roaming outside our body.

My heart breaks as I think of what lays ahead this Wednesday. Yet, God has been continuously faithful to our family. I am so grateful for how well Charlotte has done. He has blessed me beyond measure by bringing Ben and I together, giving us Charlotte, and now Margaret. He places trials in all our lives and I know they are small compared to the burden of what we deserve. I'm asking that He once again protect my daughter, give me strength and courage as her mother, and even when it seems against the grain: "to count it all joy".
Photobucket

3 comments:

Dana said...

Sorry in advance, this will be a long one. :)

I ran across this passage and explanation in a recent devotional and it made me think of you. Despite the difficulty of the many issues that you have been faced with, I think you have always done as this passage instructs and have been a great example to others.

Romans 5:3-5, "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." The explanation... Exult means to boast IN (translated as remaining in place or resting in, rather than being in motion) regard to anything. Brings about means to carry out a task until it is finished. This passage is indicating that there is blessing in being at rest, not trying to escape a trial or tribulation until God has completed it. The grace to persevere has already been given to us through the Holy Spirit."

I know that you will disagree with me saying that you have done a good job with this, but you have. :) We loved having you all in town for Easter! Charlotte's progress is truly amazing, and I can't wait to see how far she will go! Love the pictures, as usual! I need to post the video of Lia with the bubbles to YouTube. That was hilarious! We will be praying tomorrow, as I know so many others will be. Love y'all!

Susan B. said...

Ess! I so enjoyed the pics again! Eveyone is so beautiful and happy! You and Dana are such an inspiration to all of us. And I don't think God could have chosen better parents to raise His Charlotte than you and Ben. You're wonderful parents. Dana, I'd love to see Lia's Youtube vid. She's a real cutie! Lots of people are praying for Charlotte's surgery and I know it will be well! God bless y'all!!! Aunt Choo Choo

Mimi and Dada said...

Good mornig little family. Mike gave us the good news yesterday. "YEH" I am so proud of our little trouper, She survived another hurdle in her little short life, but it doesn't surprise me for God said He would never leave or forsake us. Love to you all.